Frequently Asked Questions

Because You Asked?

This page contains informationso you can pursue a solution to your needs and/or concerns.


Barking Dogs

Bulky Items Collections / Replacing Trash Containers

Dead Animal Collection

Graffiti Removal

Holiday Trash Collection Days

Pothole Repair and Other Street Services

** To Be Added: Hazardous Waste Removal, Loud Parties


On November 1, 2011, the Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously, 12-0, to amend the city’s barking law, Municipal Code 53.63, Ordinance No.181,930, Eff. 12/11/11. This was the first change in the law since 1987. The law defined excessive barking and fines. Brenda Barnette, general manager of the Animal Services Department, remarked, "If a dog just stays out and barks and barks, that's really not reasonable."

Excessive Barking: Noise which is unreasonably annoying, disturbing, offensive, or which unreasonably interferes with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property of one or more persons occupying property in the community or neighborhood, within reasonable proximity to the property where the dog or dogs are kept.

How Much Barking is Considered Excessive? Barking continuously for 10 minutes or more, or intermittently for 30 minutes or more within a three-hour period.

Fines: Dog owners would face fines starting at $250 for a first offense, $500 for a second and $1,000 for a third if a hearing conducted by the Department of Animal Services determines that a dog barks too much.

Barking Dog Complaints are handled by the LA Department of Animal Services. You send a written complaint to the West Los Angeles Animal Care Center, 11361 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90064. No email address is provided.

The information required in the complaint:

Your Address 

Your Phone Number

Address of the barking dog

Description of the Problem
. Note: It is important to clearly document the barking. Include: Describing the dog(s), the breed, if known. When and how often has the barking occurred. Include a log by date, hour, and time to show that the occurrences meet the law’s criteria of excessive barking. Describe your attempts, if any, to talk to the owner about the problem. Any other information you feel is important.

Your Signature. Be sure it is legible.

Summary of the Complaint Procedure:

First Complaint: You send a complaint. The Department of Animal Services sends the dog owner a written notice that a noise complaint has been receive and requests immediate abatement of any excessive noise. You receive a notice that a letter has been sent.

Second Complaint: If the dog owner has not complied within 15 days after the Animal Services letter was sent, proceed to the next step. You send a second complaint letter to Animal Services stating that the excessive barking continues. Make sure you reference your original letter or send a copy.

Animal Services sends you and the dog owner a letter to appear at a meeting before a Department representative to discuss possible ways and means to resolve the problem. If the problem still remains unresolved, the matter shall be set for an administrative hearing. If the dog owner does not appear at the meeting before the Department’s representative and there is evidence of excessive noise, “…the problem shall be deemed unresolved, and the matter set for an administrative hearing….”


The Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation (BOS)will pick-up from your driveway large or bulky household items, such as mattresses, couches, and other furnitures, and metal household appliances. The service isfree of charge,but you must make a reservation.Have an itemized list ready. BOS does not collect automotive parts, construction materials, commercial materials, and cardboards. Cardboards are only collected as a Move In/Move Out service not as a bulky item pickup. Bulky Items arecollectedon MONDAY, the Canals regular trash pick-up day.

You can make a reservation by phone or send a request electronically. Make your pick-up request byTuesday ofthe previous week:

PHONE:CALL 1-800-773-2489, Monday through Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.

ELECTRONICALLY:Send your request using BOS'sSERVICE REQUEST FORM (see below).

The Request Formhas a number of items on it besides the general bulky items. Use it to identify: Metal Household Appliance Items you want picked up, Brush Items, Move In / Move Out Pick Up, and/or Services Not Complete. This Form is also for Replacing Black / Blue / Green, broken, missing, or damaged TRASH CONTAINERS. If you are reporting a damaged trash container, you will need theserial numberthat is stenciled on the container. Requests are processed in 2-3 business days. If it is an emergency, contact 800-773-2489. For Move In/Move Out service description, return to the BOS main menu.

SERVICE REQUEST FORM -CLICK on the Form. It is user friendly, just read it carefully.



The Bureau of Sanitation (BOS) collects dead animals free of charge. Call 1-800-773-2489, from Monday through Saturday, between 7:30a.m. and 4:45p.m. For after hours and Sundays, please dial 3-1-1 on your home phone.


GRAFFITI REMOVAL (New On-Line System) 2015

Click Anti-Graffiti


This is the company that has a contract with the City of Los Angeles for Venice They try to response within 48 hours.



2021 Holiday Trash Collection

Holiday collection service will be postponed by one or two days following these holidays:

  • New Year's Day
  • Fourth of July
  • Labor Day - No Service on Monday, September 6th. One day delay until Tuesday.
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

If you have any further questions regarding the holiday schedule, call1-800-773-2489.

POTHOLE REPAIR and Other Street Services

BUREAU OF STREET SERVICES REQUEST FORM. CLICK on the Form. Itis an easy way of submitting a request electronically.

07-27-12 Venice Canals Informative 2021